Re: [Exim] Failing behviour based on SMTP codes.

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Suresh Ramasubramanian
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Failing behviour based on SMTP codes.
Phil Pennock rearranged electrons thusly:

> ISP blocks incoming syn-only packets, then either (a) change ISP; or
> (b) use auth-based TURN.

I've never liked TURN and ETRN, somehow ... and yeah - port 587 (smtp-auth)
doesn't work too well on some ISPs (Earthlink / Sprintlink, forgot which)
which have been filtering port 25. AOL does this too - in a different way.
If you try to relay through another server, AOL forces this request through a
set of smtp proxies (rly-ipXX.proxy.aol.com and tot-tX.proxy.aol.com)

Some excellent rants against this ... see Vernon Schryver's posts in
news.admin.net-abuse.email, in particular.

> make it _remarkably_ easy for people interested in snooping on your
> behaviour to do so.

<carnivore>Yup - ask the FBI, stateside</carnivore>

> If I were an employee of a spook agency (post-brainwashing), I'd be
> actively encouraging these sorts of technology developments.

You know something? you are right ;)

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + sureshr@???
Linux is like a Teepee - No Windows, No Gates, Apache Inside