Re: [Exim] Killing a misconfigured host.

Author: michael
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Killing a misconfigured host.
> rejected HELO from [192.147.174.218]:
> syntactically invalid argument(s): bog.lodo.exactis.com'
>
> These seem to come from various IP addresses.
>
> I presume Exim is complaining about the spurious ' on the end of
> the hostname ?

Yes.

> What's the quickest way to kill this attempted delivery, assuming
> all the messages arise from multiple attempts to deliver the same
> message ?

Set helo_strict_syntax = false.

> BTW, emailing postmaster@??? fails due to a broken
> alias :-(

That's typical for such sites, they don't have a clue what they are doing
and they simply don't care, either. Like this one:

2000-10-13 10:53:51 rejected HELO from [213.68.116.1]: syntactically invalid argument(s): b90_post.gruenebt-dmz.de

Germans may be interested to register the domain gruenebt-dmz.de, as it
is still free, and donate it to the political party that runs this site.
Perhaps also donate some consulting.

I suggest to simply ignore such problems, if you can't reach anybody or
there is no response. That's like broken bulk mailers that don't care about
return codes that indicate you will NOT relay their crap, yet they continue
with DATA, which is illegal if RCPT TO did not work, and they don't care
about that either and simply transmit the body afterwards, which gets logged
as amazing amounts of SMTP syntax errors.

Michael