Re: [Exim] thinking of replacing eximon

Autor: Yann Golanski
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] thinking of replacing eximon
On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 06:07:46PM +0100, Steve Haslam wrote:
> When I first started using Exim, I used eximon to keep an eye on what
> it was doing. However, since then I've discontinued this because:
>
> 1. eximon needs to be run as root/mail on the server, and needs the X
> libraries on the server...
>
> 2. eximon is fine for monitoring one machine, but 3?

3? why not try 34 machines... ;>

> So, I finally decided to have a think about a way of replacing it with
> something that suited me better. The first thing to do, as I saw it,
> was to replace the single monitor program with a client/server
> pair. This would allow a client to connect to multiple servers, and
> remove the requirement for the server to have the display libraries
> installed- clearing the way to have fancier clients written (e.g. for
> Gnome/KDE).

That does sound good. What does it monitors? How does it do it?

> If anyone is interested, the source package is at
> http://www.debian.org/~araqnid/exim_status-0.2.tar.gz

Will have a look at it.

> All comments appreciated. (Even if it's "Your idea is fundamentally
> flawed because...." :})

I've done some work there as well, it's called eXimon and is on the ftp
site. It's a Linux only at the moment (as I have no hardware to actully
test it else where) and is very much a `what the company needs' and
nothing more.

--
        Please use PGP when replying to this message
Dr Yann Golanski                            Internet Systems Developer