Re: [Exim] "You must say full HELO first" SMTP error

Autor: Trevor Sky Garside
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] "You must say full HELO first" SMTP error
| > It looks like a "broken" MTA to me, here's a standard SMTP HELO:
| >
| > [mike@gate mike]$ telnet mail.letec.co.uk 25
| > Trying 194.129.189.164...
| > Connected to mail.letec.co.uk.
| > Escape character is '^]'.
| > 220 fndexch001.foundation Mail essentials server (2.422) ready for

ESMTP
| > transfer
| > helo gate.thorcom.com
| > 250 Hello> GATE.THORCOM.COM You are from : 212.172.148.2
| >

| > here's an EHLO followed by a MAIL command:
| >
| > [mike@gate mike]$ telnet mail.letec.co.uk 25
| > Trying 194.129.189.164...
| > Connected to mail.letec.co.uk.
| > Escape character is '^]'.
| > 220 fndexch001.foundation Mail essentials server (2.422) ready for

ESMTP
| > transfer
| > EHLO gate.thorcom.com
| > 502
| > mail from: mike@???
| [...]

| Wait a minute, 502 means the command is not implemented, so you cannot

just
| carry on if the server gives you a 502 to your ehlo. RFC 1869 states:

|     If the server SMTP recognizes, but does not implement, the
|     EHLO command, it will return code 502.
|     [...]
|     In the case of any error response, the client SMTP should
|     issue either the HELO or QUIT command

| Or am I missing the point here?

| -- Kilian

I think we're missing the key point, which is that the server sent a blank
line then duplicate error messages, indicating simply that it is a piece of
junk, and as such shouldn't be trusted to do much of anything right. My
recommendation is to send an email to the postmaster account complaining
about his MTA.

--Trevor

---
Trevor Sky Garside