Re: [Exim] "You must say full HELO first" SMTP error

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Jon Paxton
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. G8TIC
Kopio: Jon Paxton, exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] "You must say full HELO first" SMTP error
> here's an EHLO followed by a MAIL command:
>
> [mike@gate mike]$ telnet mail.letec.co.uk 25
> Trying 194.129.189.164...
> Connected to mail.letec.co.uk.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 fndexch001.foundation Mail essentials server (2.422) ready for ESMTP
> transfer
> EHLO gate.thorcom.com
> 502
> mail from: mike@???
>
> <- blank line!!
> 503 You must say full HELO first 212.172.148.2             <- error message
> twice!!
> 503 You must say full HELO first 212.172.148.2

Hmm, not sure about the double error, but the "502" error you got means
that it doesn't implement ESMTP, at which point the client SMTP server
should either send HELO or QUIT. Exim sends HELO as it should.

> You might be able to fix this by creating a transport specifically for this
> host and
> forcing it to SMTP only (no ESMTP).

Thanks for that, that's a great suggestion and seems like it might solve
some of these problems, I'll give it a go and report back to the list if I
have any success. Of course, I'd still like to find out exactly why this
works sometimes but not others, so I'll probably continue investigating :)

Cheers,
Jon