Re: [Exim] "You must say full HELO first" SMTP error

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jon Paxton
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] "You must say full HELO first" SMTP error
On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Jon Paxton wrote:

> It isn't just this remote recipient which is causing the problem
> either... As far as I can tell, the problem is something to do with the
> fact that the server suggests it is ESMTP capable (in the initial
> smtp response when you connect), but doesn't actually support the EHLO
> command... I'm running exim 3.14

A manual test confirms that:

$ telnet 194.129.189.164 25
Trying 194.129.189.164...
Connected to 194.129.189.164.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 fndexch001.foundation Mail essentials  server (2.422) ready for ESMTP transfer
ehlo virgo.cus.cam.ac.uk
502
helo virgo.cus.cam.ac.uk
250 Hello> VIRGO.CUS.CAM.AC.UK You are from : 131.111.8.20

> If anyone can shed any light on this or any way in which I could test this
> I would be very greatful, as I'm getting a lot of angry complaints from
> our customer...

Run an Exim delivery with debugging turned on. That will verify the SMTP
dialogue. Exim will try EHLO first, then back off to HELO.

Another possibility is that this is a broken server that insists on HELO
before the second message sent down the same SMTP connection. The only
way to test this is actually to send a message (which you can do by
hand) and then immediately enter a MAIL command to send another one.

If it then complains, it is broken.