Re: [Exim] Washington mbx again

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Washington mbx again
On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> jeffrey+lists@??? said:
> > UW pop/imap offers a very wide choice (but appearently not maildir) of
> > mailbox formats.
>
> Mail programs seem to be greatly affected by cults of personality.
> Maildir is unsupported in UW-IMAP because Mark Crispin has had some
> previous fights with Dan Bernstein

MRC has had fights with just about everybody. I think that I am one of
the few people who occassionally argues with him, but still ends up not
being despised by him.

> There are patches for maildir support. However the combination of
> UW-IMAP and Maildir I think is always likely to have serious
> performance problems.

I haven't looked at the patches. (I don't follow my own advice, and
continue to use mbox despite the memory problems and other limitations),
but my instinct is that that is true, as with MH or similar formats.

But I do want to make my point very clear. Cyrus doesn't give much
(any?) choice of format. UW does. If you choose one that the tech-notes
for UW imap say is slow and memory intensive and don't use the one that is
fast and easier on memory then that is not really a problem with UW-imap.
Would these complaints about UW-IMAP go away if it forced you to use mbx?

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
I have recently moved, see http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/contact.html