Re: [Exim] Testers needed: LMTP support

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: John Holman
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Philip Hazel
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Testers needed: LMTP support
Phillip

I've finally had time to look at the LMTP support in exim 3.161, using the
deliver program from Cyrus 1.6.24 in batch mode. It seems to work OK -
though I've not tried it in production (our imap service is still under
development).

The current LMTP implementation in exim, unlike sendmail, only supports
program invocation. Cyrus 2 (currently in alpha) on the other hand provides
an LMTP daemon that listens on either a Unix domain socket or TCP/IP socket.
The MTA is expected to connect to this socket to make local deliveries. (I
believe the M-Store server from Messaging Direct uses a Unix domain socket
in a similar way).

Support in the MTA for LMTP delivery via TCP/IP or Unix domain sockets is
not essential to use Cyrus 2 (the deliver program is now a wrapper that can
be invoked by the MTA to act as a proxy LMTP client) but it would be nice.
It is presumably more efficient, and allows the MTA and IMAP servers to live
on different systems.

Another wrinkle is that when listening on a TCP/IP socket the Cyrus LMTP
daemon by default requires the MTA client to authenticate using the SMTP
AUTH extension. This is probably not essential (although an open LMTP
service accessible over the net is not a good idea!) but it might be useful.

Regards, John

John Holman
Head of Central Servers Team
Queen Mary and Westfield College