Re: [Exim] System filter - text content

Author: Chris Bayliss
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: paul, jason, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] System filter - text content

> paul@??? said:
> > As of yesterday, that activity is now illegal, under the new "Bill of
> > Rights" that came into play. If you monitor employees e-mail or phone
> > conversations, by law you are now infringing basic human rights, and
> > you're looking at doing some bird mate.
>
> [This of course only applies to the UK]
> The Human Rights legislation and RIP bill have rather conflicting aims.

I don't see how. The RIP bill (act) places limitations on monitoring
activity. If I understand the situation correctly, the Human rights
act brings European Convention rights within the scope of UK
legislation. There is surely scope in both to allow monitoring. The
main difference in the aims in this respect would seem to be down to
reporting.

Presumably it is Article 8 of the convention that the writer is
referring to? It has been widely reported that phone monitoring
appears to be allowable if employees are told and alternative is
available (eg a payhphone). How this could be applied to email is yet
to be tested. I would suggest that the payphone provides an
alternative means of communication.

> Also even without RIP workplace issues are less clear-cut than your
> statement.

I would have said that it was wide of the mark rather than not
clear-cut.

> However I would certainly hold off from getting involved in that sort
> of thing until legal opinion has been obtained, and might well insist
> on a director level written requirement to do this sort of work.

One would expect senior approval to do this type of activity anyway.
Whilst people should get legal advice when necessary anyone should
have an awareness and working knowledge of the law as it applies to
their work. Most people I know in other professions do. I would
expect nothing less of of a gasman or electrician. Why should the
computing industry be so different in this respect?

Chris
[Opinions expressed are personal]