Re: [Exim] System filter - text content

Author: Paul Robinson
Subject: Re: [Exim] System filter - text content
On Mon, 02 Oct 2000, Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> Cool. Reject attachment. What if your business partner wants to
> sent a picture of a new whatever-you're-dealing-with to your CEO
> for purchace approval? Eh? Exim is a very nice software, but
> the filtering mechanism doesn't have an 'if business_related'
> directive yet.

Rejecting attatchments, especially when CEOs are involved is a *GREAT* idea.
I once worked for a company (when we only had a P133 with 128Mb of RAM as the
primary MX), where the CEO decided to send a 20Mb Word document to all-staff@
and we were able to watch sendmail fall over lots in a sort of drunken
saturday-night "Where's my kebab?" kind of way.

Seriously though, a company does have the right to be able to ask for certain
rules to be obeyed, but they must explicitly tell employees that their mail
is being read, phone calls monitored, etc. otherwise they can get into all
sorts of trouble.

I agree with the sentiment however that this sort of behaviour is generally
not required by any company working in a general commercial context. There of
course has to be some constraints put in place if an employee is working in a
commercially sensitive environment, or indeed any environment where the work
may be considered "sensitive" in some manner. This is more of a case of
protecting the employee from false aligations than anything else, and is
reasonable.

Generally though, this sort of debate is redundant. It's hard enough to get
decent staff these days as it is, without scaring them off because you won't
let them share a few attatchments. CPU cycles and disk space on the mail
server are cheap - staff aren't. Guess who wins at my company? :-)

--
______________/ Technical Director @ Akitanet -- http://www.akita.co.uk/ |