Re: [Exim] To those testing TLS support:

Author: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] To those testing TLS support:
On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> Below is a small patch for Exim 3.163. Without it, you can't transfer
> x'ff' bytes over TLS on systems where "char" is by default signed (e.g.
> Sparcs). I have vowed never again to write a program that uses plain
> "char" types. I have been bitten by Sun too many times now.

At one time I used a Mac compiler which had 3 options:
    char = unsigned char
    char = signed char
    char != unsigned char , char != signed char

> Personally, I've never understood the need for signed chars anyway.

My guess is that they are "signed small integers"
(where small is often but not always 8bit).

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna