[Exim] Configuration data that is sensitive

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Configuration data that is sensitive
It was pointed out recently that the -bP option in Exim (which shows the
setting of one or more options) was rather more open that it should be,
because options like mysql_servers can contain authentication
information. I've just had a think about this. There are two possible
approaches:

(1) Just restrict the use of -bP to admin users. This is the easy thing
to do. However, it seems a bit heavy handed.

(2) Invent a notional flag that is set for certain options, restricting
them to admin users only. This is not a huge amount of work, and I think
there are only a few such options:

   mysql_servers
   pgsql_servers
   all the query or queries options, because they can contain
     password information in LDAP queries
   server_secret     in authenticators
   server_condition  in authenticators, because it might have an inline
                       password
   client_secret     in authenticators
   client_send       in authenticators

Does anyone have any views? I'm inclined to do (2).