[Exim] Getting AUTH to work with netscape

Author: Steve Platt
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Getting AUTH to work with netscape
First of all an apology, I'm way behind reading this list for various reasons.

I had got to the point where I was skipping all the messages except the
T-shirt ones before I read Nigel's plea to back off!

So a technical question - probably a FAQ by now, well it should be.

Am I right in thinking that in order to get Netscape SMTP relaying working
both on and off your own network with AUTH you need to patch the source to
exim still?

It seems you need to force/provoke Netscape into authenticating by advertising
the AUTH feature in response to an EHLO - there's no other way is there?

AFAIK this advertisement can only be turned on or off (auth_always_advertise).

What I think I want is for a PC with Netscape to be able to send mail to our
exim server without fuss when it's plugged into our LAN but to force it to
prompt for AUTHentication when it's connecting in from some random ISP address.

TIA,
Steve Platt