Re: [Exim] Return code for "there is no valid sender in any …

Author: Phil Pennock
To: michael
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Return code for "there is no valid sender in any header line"?
On 2000-09-28 at 14:56 -0000, michael@??? gifted us with:
> I am currently having a problem with rejected mails due to "there is no
> valid sender in any header line". The problem is that the other system
> makes a retry. So far, so good, as explained in the manual. But: The
> admin claims that he sees a 451 return code! Is there any way why exim
> 3.16 should return 451 instead of 550 for this error message? I failed
> to reproduce this so far, but I asked for a session log to prove it.
>
> I would appreciate if exim would log the error codes as well as the
> message just to be sure what exactly it said to the other side.

$ cd /usr/local/src/exim-3.16/src
$ fgrep 'sender in any header' *.[ch]

Then look at verify.c (the only matching file) and find:

      case FAIL:
      if (headers_checks_fail)
        {
        *errcode = 550;
        *errmess = (verify_address_parse_error == NULL)?
          string_sprintf("there is no valid sender in any header line "
            "(envelope sender is <%.1024s>)", sender_address) :
          string_sprintf("%s (envelope sender is <%.1024s>)",
            verify_address_parse_error,
            sender_address);
        return FALSE;
        }

Looks very much like a 550 to me. Is there some kind of proxy in the
way?
--
Normally <Phil.Pennock@???>, which should still work.