Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH advertise?

Author: Dave C.
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH advertise?

Doh! Just found this on doc/Changelog ;) Copying it back here in case
anyone else is as silly as I am ;)

Version 3.13
------------

1. There is a new option called auth_always_advertise, available when
Exim is compiled with AUTH support, which defaults TRUE. If it is set
FALSE, then Exim advertises the AUTH command in response to EHLO only
if the calling host is in auth_hosts or host_auth_accept_relay
(assuming Exim is configured with some authenticators). [See 3.14/9
above for later addition.] Otherwise it does not advertise AUTH, though
it is prepared to accept it. Certain mail clients (e.g. Netscape)
require to the user to provide a name and password for authentication
if AUTH is advertised, even though it may not be needed (the host may
be in host_accept_relay, for example). Unsetting auth_always_advertise
makes these clients more friendly in these circumstances.