Re: [Exim] Rereading config (from Relay troubles)

Autor: Yann Golanski
A: John Sloan
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Rereading config (from Relay troubles)
On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 02:46:37PM +0100, John Sloan wrote:
> Phil wrote:
> >When I wrote Exim I wasn't happy with this, figuring you wouldn't want
> >Exim picking up a new configuration until you wanted it to, but OTOH, of
> >course, any updating of the file gets picked up by non-daemon processes
> >right away, so my worry is probably a silly one.
> >
> >However, I still wonder whether this is a good idea for another reason.
> >To make it "automatic" you'd have to have the daemon statting the file
> >pretty regularly; if you left it till, say, each queue run, it would
> >behave oddly from the user's point of view. Also, the daemon currently
> >wakes up only on the queue run timer or the arrival of a new message, so
> >implementing this would require serious surgery, and I'd rather leave
> >the daemon's code alone.

I think we still should HUP the deamon. It's not that much of an effort.
Maybe adding something at the top of the config file, in CAPS and with
stars and bells?

I have written a small python script that tests the configuration file
from the a central RCS repository and copies them to servers. If someone
wants it, then ask and I'll post a hacked version of it. Otherwise, it's
really not that difficult to actully do it yourself. Good exercise if
you want to learn Python -- and do, it's good ;> ... or do it in perl.

> I have a related wish. We have one server whose configuration changes
> very rapidly (the networks/domains we allow through it varies
> rapidly). Every time the configuration changes, we HUP exim and it
> rereads it. So far so good.
>
> Unfortunately the already running queue-runners don't appear tracked by
> the new exim daemon. [Indeed they appear to become orphaned, as the
> daemon respawns].
>
> We had the machine close to running out of memory the other day (with over
> 400 exim processes running :), so keeping track of them is important.
>
> Is this a behaviour which could be changed? Could exim reread it's
> configuration without respawning?

That's something else completly...
$ ps ax | grep exim | awk '{print $1}' | xargs kill -HUP
or
$ killall -HUP exim

--
        Please use PGP when replying to this message
Dr Yann Golanski                            Internet Systems Developer