[Exim] Convincing Netscape to SMTP AUTH LOGIN

Author: Ephraim Silverberg
Subject: [Exim] Convincing Netscape to SMTP AUTH LOGIN
I have compiled Exim 3.16 with AUTH_PLAINTEXT and set up the configuration
using Mark Morley's "config.samples/C034" including the fix to "src/smtp_in.c".
Furthermore, I have set "host_auth_accept_relay" to "*" while "auth_hosts"
is unset since I need authentication only to allow relaying.

When telneting from a remote host to the Exim server (port 25), everything
goes well with the authentication process including getting the
"250-AUTH LOGIN" response after "EHLO"; however, when trying to send e-mail
Netscape 4.x on the same host, it apparently never tries to authenticate and,
hence, gets the standard "refused relay (host) to [...]" log entry.

What must I do to convince Netscape to authenticate with the Exim server?
Ephraim Silverberg, CSE System Group,        Phone number:    972-2-6585521
Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel.        Fax number:      972-2-6585439
WWW: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~ephraim       E-mail: ephraim@???