Re: [Exim] Sender: header and SMTP Auth

Author: Gary Palmer
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Sender: header and SMTP Auth
Philip Hazel wrote in message ID
<Pine.SOL.4.21.0009250905310.5420-100000@???>:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Gary Palmer wrote:
>
> > gjp@watcher:~> exim -bP local_from_check
> > no_local_from_check
> > gjp@watcher:~>
> >
> > However, I am still getting the Sender header added. This is with
> > exim 3.15.

> Please send an example of a message with this added. Exim should not add
> Sender: to locally generated messages with no_local_from_check. The code
> is pretty clear!

> Wait a minute. You were talking about SMTP AUTH. That means the message
> came in by SMTP. Therefore it is not a local message. In that case, Exim
> shouldn't be interested in the Sender: header at all. Or are you talking
> about AUTH on the *outgoing* part of the message?

I am talking about exim as a SMTP AUTH server. I've found the
`problem', and I'm sorry for asking why exim was adding the header. I
just ran a snoop of a test session and found that Netscape (in its
infinite wisdom) is adding an unqualified Sender: header, which exim
is then qualifying. When it got qualified with an internal domain,
rather than a customer domain, I thought exim was adding the header.

Gah. Now to go figure out if removing that header will break
anything.

Sorry for the false alarm.