Re: [Exim] Multiple smarthosts

Author: Jim Knoble
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Multiple smarthosts
Circa 2000-Sep-23 06:50:22 -0700 dixit Jeffrey Goldberg:

: On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Robin Faichney wrote:
: > So what I'd like to do is have alternative smarthosts, where the one to be
: > used is determined by which ISP I'm connected to.
: >
: > I thought I'd cracked it, by using route_file instead of route_list,
: > setting search_type to lsearch, where the two files look like this:
: >
: > *: <ISP1_smarthost> bydns_a
: >
: > and
: >
: > *: <ISP2_smarthost> bydns_a
:
: There shouldn't be colons in there.

Yes there should. :) Here's the setup i'm using, with exim-3.16 (built
and packaged by me for my Red Hat 6.x system):

  # /etc/exim/exim.conf: Routers section
  smart_host:
    domains = /etc/exim/smart-domains
    driver = domainlist
    transport = remote_smtp
    search_type = lsearch*
    #                  ^^^^^--- Note the '*' here; perhaps that's what
    #                           Robin is missing....
    route_file = /etc/exim/smart-hosts
    require_files = /etc/exim/use-smart-host

'require_files' allows me to select whether i want to use the
smart_host router or not by touching or removing
/etc/exim/use-smart-host.

In /etc/exim/smart-domains:

!*.my.local.domain
*

In /etc/exim/smart-hosts:

  *:    my.ISPs.outgoing.mail.hub   byname

(I use 'byname' so that i can temporarily use a secondary outgoing mail
hub if the main one isn't working, by adding the right IP address to
/etc/hosts.)

: > and ip-up symlinks the route_file filename to the appropriate file for
: > the current connection. But that doesn't work. I got an error message
: > from my email client which I unfortunately did not note, but which seemed
: > to indicate that routing was thoroughly confused.

Robin, don't forget to send a SIGHUP to any exim daemons (exim -bd) or
queuerunners (exim -q10m) you might have running after symlinking the
file in place.

--
jim knoble | jmknoble@??? | http://www.jmknoble.cx/