Re: [Exim] envelope rewriting clarification

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Dan Kappus
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] envelope rewriting clarification
On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Dan Kappus wrote:

> At any rate, when a user tries to send a
> message from a remote host to the exim installation
> here, it appears that the
>
> anything@???
>
> gets rewritten as
>
> anything@???

There are some MTAs (I think Sendmail is one) which "regularize" domain
names in addresses by replacing aliases by the canonical domain name.
Did the message that showed this behaviour pass through Sendmail? Or, to
put this question another way, what was the address that Exim received?

Hmm. It may also be something that Exim does. If it looks up a domain
and gets back a different answer, it will rewrite. For example, if an
address is abbreviated (something like user@abcd) and the DNS lookup
gives back a record with the name abcd.some.tld, then Exim replaces the
name. This might happen for CNAMEs. But you aren't supposed to use
CNAMEs for mail routing. MX records are there for that purpose.