Re: [Exim] Different delivery according to address?

Author: Christi Alice Scarborough
To: Robert Ribnitz
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Different delivery according to address?
On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 09:10:20AM +0200, Robert Ribnitz wrote:
> 2) queue remote mail rewriting addresses
>     a) send to a smarthost (provider's smtp) if the domain of the recipient
>        is listed in a file (eg. /etc/smarthostdomains)
>     b) send directly otherwise

As a matter of policy, I strongly advise against this. Refusing to
accept direct SMTP mail from a dialup host is one of the most
effective weapons a sysadmin has in combating spam, and more and
more administrators are doing this. Your ISP will provide you with
a smarthost, and you should use this for all outbound mail. There
are also advantages to doing so in that a permenantly connected
static host can be more flexible about retries.

Christi

--
Christi Scarborough, Systems Administrator, FutureTV http://www.futuretv.com/
FutureTV Labs Ltd, Brunswick House, 61-69 Newmarket Rd, Cambridge, CB5 8EG, UK