Re: [Exim] Exim and PAM, again

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Christi Alice Scarborough
A: Nigel Metheringham
Cc: Christi Alice Scarborough, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Exim and PAM, again
On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 03:00:17PM +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> I think, although I would like confirmation of this, that its
> impossible to use PAM with exim on most shadow password based systems,
> because exim mostly runs as non-root (unless your configuration does
> otherwise) and you cannot see into shadow password files as non-root.
> [RH has a helper to get round that *but* it only works for checking the
> password related to the UID that you are currently running as]

This would be kind of bizzare, and would seem to defeat the purpose of
PAM somewhat. That doesn't mean it's not true, however.

> BTW Am I right in thinking that CRAM-MD5 will be impossible to
> implement on systems where the clear text password is not available on
> the server in some form?

Yes, which makes it unsuitable for publically accessable systems, IMHO.
At least a man in the middle attack only gets one password at a time.

Christi
--
Christi Scarborough, Systems Administrator, FutureTV http://www.futuretv.com/
FutureTV Labs Ltd, Brunswick House, 61-69 Newmarket Rd, Cambridge, CB5 8EG, UK