Re: [Exim] Re:struck up in final stages

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dave C.
A: Neeraj Manral
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Re:struck up in final stages
On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Neeraj Manral wrote:

> Hi
> My set up is as follows .
> My domain is abc.co in. Most of the users are having mailid as we use pop3
> to deliver mails
> ***@abc.co.in
> plus we have some sub domain as
> ho.abc.co.in
> lmd.abc.co.in
> mail.abc.co.in(ccmail users)
> allthe respective user id is
> ***@***.abc.co.in
> Uptill now we were using netscape mail server on sun netra m/c now as we are
> upgrade we would like to get exim installed as our MTA on a linux m/c
> My doubts are

> 1 .Since domain abc.co.in is our mailserver as well our web server .We do
> not want to change our web server so do we have to register another domain
> name for our mail server as now the mail server would on a different m/c

A hostname should only reference one server, perhaps you mean
www.abc.co.in is your webserver?

> (linux 6.0 redhat).
> 2 .I have installed (exim-3.16 on linux 6.0) this machine is also on the
> internet backbone.How do I test that exim.

Send some mail?

> 3 How does pop3 work in exim .Do i have to make muy linux m/c as DNS

Exim is not a POP3 server - you would need to setup a seperate program
for that. RedHat Linux does include some - you'll have to consult its
information.

> 4.my exim is installed but how shld i test it does one have to l ink some
> directories ?which directry should i go and give the exim commands
> /usr/exim/bin   and    /usr/exim/configure are two dir that i had createdI
> downloaded exim and untared it in
> /home /test/download/exim-3.16
> cd exim 3.16 i gave make and make ,install commands and exim got installed
> successfully

eximon is just a Graphical monitoring program for exim - you don't need
to do anything with it for exim to work. Personally, I don't use it,
preferring to use the commandline directly.

You will probably want to symlink such things as /usr/lib/sendmail or
/usr/sbin/sendmail to your exim binary, as many local MUA's and other
software which wants to send mail has that hardcoded in as the
'standard' way to call the local MTA.

You should have a look at the documentation (FAQ, SPEC) at
http://www.exim.org/

There are a lot of generic unix/mailserver concept you should probably
get yourself familiar with in order to understand the specifics of exim
(or any mailserver)

> does one have to specify some thing like domain name etc in eximmon.conf
> file
> can i make the changes now and where ?
> I am struck up !!
> waiting for some suggestions
> regards
> neeraj
> I am getting the following error :
> When i give command /usr/exim /bin /exim -bd -q30 m it gives the error
> :EXIM configuration file /usr/exim/configure has wrong owner ,groups,or mode

Which means exactly what it says. That file has an owner, group, or
permissions which are not correct. (See the exim SPEC, and possibly
installation instructions, for how to determine what owner/ group/
permissions your config file should have)