Re: [Exim] inverse of smtp_reserve_hosts

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Mark Ivens
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] inverse of smtp_reserve_hosts
On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Mark Ivens wrote:

> We have this set but I have found that it still hurt when, for
> example, after a routing problem between us and egroups was resolved,
> all their servers hit ours simultaneously with the queue that they had
> built up.
>
> I would also love to use such a feature to "sin-bin" a subnet that
> some naughty little spammer is using as his playpen.
>
> Would this be something that you would consider adding to a future
> exim release? I think it would be very useful.

I have added the item to the Wish List and will review it in due course.

This might be an opportunity to tell the list how I deal with these
things: I sort of split requirements between large enhancements such as
LMTP and SSL, and smaller things. Every now and again I feel moved to
tackle something large and I do that. In between, I review the Wish List
and pick off things that are small and easy to do. I am to some extent
influenced (very subjectively) by what people are asking for on the
list. As Exim develops and changes, things that were hard at one time
sometimes become easier later because of other changes, or after a
period of gestating inside my head, I get an idea about how to do
something.

So it is definitely arbitrary and up to my whims, but I do make a point
of reading the entire Wish List when it is "what next?" time.