[Exim] configuration problem

Autor: Frank Gonsalves
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] configuration problem
With reference to the README DOCUMENT IN EXIM MANUALS please let me know
where i am going wrong

4.4 Pre-building configuration

Before building Exim, a local configuration file that specifies options
independent of any operating system has to be created with the name
Local/Makefile. A template for this file is supplied as the file src/EDITME,
and it contains full descriptions of all the option settings therein.

Default values are supplied for all of them except for those that specify
the
locations of the runtime configuration file and the directory for holding
Exim
binaries. These must be given, as Exim will not build without them. If the
locations of Exim's spool directory and log file directory (if not within
the
spool directory) are fixed, it is recommended that you specify them in
Local/Makefile instead of at run time so that errors detected early in
Exim's
execution (such as a malformed configuration file) can be logged.

*****what i am trying to do **********

>I have installed linux6.0 redhat on my machine( pentium mmx 166mhz 96 mb
>ram)I did a custom installation where in i didnot select sendmail option .
>After that i configured internet on linux (we use a proxy server to

connect
>to net in our company)
>I downloaded exim-3.16.tar.gz .in diras : /home
>/neeraj/test/download/exim-3.16tar.gz
>the cd into tthat dir i untared it by the command
>gunzip exim 3.16.tar.gz
>tar xvf exim-3.16.tar.gz
>After unzipping it In a : /home /neeraj/test/download/exim dir i found
>some 12 files /dir created)
>I Found a dir by the name Local I created a blank file Makefile in that
>dir.Then i cd to scr and found EDITME
>I cd scr
>scr$cp EDITME /home /neeraj/test/download/exim/Local/Makefile
>The EDITME FILE overrided the blank make file .
>
>THE PROBLEM STARTS HERE
>I would like to know as to how to use the make command.I tried cd to Local
>dir and run make
>BUT found the error
>start.****target not found.stop.
>I want to know Does one have to modify the EDITME file and if so which all
>parameters in it for the minimum installation requirements (i am just
>testing exim)
>Do i have to configure my Linux as DNS
>(I am new to linux and exim)
>Please guide me as to what all do i have to read for a basic set upin

linux
>also.
>I found in the exim site that one has to specify the location of the

runtime
>configuration and directory for holding exim binaries.(how do i specify
>them )
>Do i have to save the Local/makefile in some other dir .
>and from where should i give the make command .
>I think this is more a problem of my unawareness to the unix/linux os than
>exims problem .do suggest me some things that i should read for the

minimum setup.
>Regards

gonsalves