Re: [Exim] MH mailbox format

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jeffrey Goldberg
A: Nigel Metheringham
Cc: Philip Hazel, John Horne, Exim Users List
Asunto: Re: [Exim] MH mailbox format
[mailed and posted]

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> ph10@??? said:
> > But (though I don't really know), I though MH operated by importing
> > from a "traditional" mailbox into its own folders in its own format.
>
> That is one way of doing things.
> However MH is designed (supposedly - the lack of locking disproves
> that) for high volume power users... who are far more likely to do
> filtering of incoming mail and similar things, so I guess a high
> proportion of MH users actually filter on procmail and then push
> messages straight into sorted folders using recvstore.

That is also my impression. MH comes (or at least used to; I have gone
from one extreme to the other of being a big MH fan to being a big IMAP
fan, and the two involve entirely incompatable notions of mail
access) with a tool called slocal which is simpler than procmail for
sorting (or filing) incoming mail. slocal can be called on delivery via
.forward, or it can be used when mail in inc-ed from a POP box or local
mail spool.

While my statements might be tainted as an IMAP convert, I do have to
agree with Nigel that the MH file store is dangerous. Without a
consistent locking model, it is really asking for trouble. Best to let
users use inc manually, so that they don't do it when changing folders
doing other things.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg