Re: [Exim] domain trouble

Author: Peter Radcliffe
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] domain trouble
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> probably said:
> Oh, sure. The only point I'm trying to make is that these restrictions
> are outwith the underlying DNS data structure, which is designed to
> carry any data. The restrictions are in various interfaces to the DNS,
> not in the DNS itself.

There are actually three levels of restriction here.

  1) The DNS system itself. This imposes a length restriction and
     '.' as a seperator.

  2) DNS used for Internet names. This imposes more character
     restrictions and was relatively recently loosened to allow [0-9]
     as the first character in a label. These apply to the IN class,
     which is pretty much always the one we're talking about.

3) SMTP restrictions on DNS names used on the Internet.

I believe, but havn't had time to dig up the reference, the _
restriction is given by 2 and 3.

Either way, a highest level domain available to a company including
a _ was bloody stupid and isn't legal in an SMTP sense.

P.

--
pir                  pir@???                    pir@???