Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH & Eudora

Autor: Richard Mayhew
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH & Eudora
Hi
I have been able to get Eudora to work with only PLAIN and LOGIN and not
CRAM-MD5.
I can get them to work 1 at at time, so I know Eudora can authenticate with
either.
With regards to Cram-MD5 I still havr to a little work on how the
authentication is processed.

At 09:36 AM 00/09/06, you wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Christi Alice Scarborough wrote:
>
> > Monitoring the TCP connection shows that Eudora is sending
> >
> > AUTH PLAIN\r\n
> >
> > and attempting to send the base64 encoded auth data on the next line,
> > by which time Exim has already failed. Am I doing something wrong?
>
>Well, Eudora certainly is. The specification of PLAIN authentication
>(RFC 2595) states that the auth data is sent on the same line as AUTH
>PLAIN.
>
>The LOGIN method expects its data on two subsequent inputs. Has Eudora
>got confused between PLAIN and LOGIN?
>
>There is, AFAIK, no published authentication mechanism that has just one
>subsequent data line of plain text. However, Exim is highly flexible in
>this regard. You can configure its plaintext authenticator to operate
>like that if you want, by setting a suitable value in server_prompts.
>
>--
>Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service,
>ph10@???      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

>--

Regards
Richard Mayhew

Unix / Security Administrator - M-Web Cape Town - CCSE
Tel:    (021) 918 8421
Fax:    (021) 918 8385
Cell:    0833018307
SMS:    0833018307@???