Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH & Eudora

Author: Christi Alice Scarborough
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH & Eudora
On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 09:36:53AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > Monitoring the TCP connection shows that Eudora is sending
> >
> > AUTH PLAIN\r\n
> >
> > and attempting to send the base64 encoded auth data on the next line,
> > by which time Exim has already failed. Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Well, Eudora certainly is. The specification of PLAIN authentication
> (RFC 2595) states that the auth data is sent on the same line as AUTH
> PLAIN.

> The LOGIN method expects its data on two subsequent inputs. Has Eudora
> got confused between PLAIN and LOGIN?

Possibly. Telling exim to advertise itself as supporting AUTH LOGIN
doesn't seem to help. Should there be a third authentication driver
to support AUTH LOGIN authentication?

> There is, AFAIK, no published authentication mechanism that has just one
> subsequent data line of plain text. However, Exim is highly flexible in
> this regard. You can configure its plaintext authenticator to operate
> like that if you want, by setting a suitable value in server_prompts.

The documentation on server_prompts is a bit sparse. Do you think you
could elaborate on how it works, since implementing AUTH LOGIN using
this option seems like the most sensible approach to take at this point.

Thanks,

Christi
--
Christi Scarborough, Systems Administrator, FutureTV http://www.futuretv.com/
FutureTV Labs Ltd, Brunswick House, 61-69 Newmarket Rd, Cambridge, CB5 8EG, UK