Re: [Exim] Re:regarding instaling exim

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Chris Snell
A: Neeraj Manral
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Re:regarding instaling exim
> I am trying to test exim in my mail set up .I have started with exim-3.12.I
> would like to ask u should i go for the latest version 3.16 .or should i
> stick with 3.14/3.12 as it might be more stable and bug free.

We're running 3.16 here and its quite stable for us, even with our obscure
configuration (MySQL local part lookups, server not running as root, etc).
In the 2+ years that we've been running Exim, I've never seen it so much
as hiccup. On the other hand, I used to work for a large national ISP,
where I watched Netscape Mail Server soil itself daily. I recall one
night where we baby-sat the Netscape servers, tweaking their connection
throttling parameters to allow for maximum mail throughput (a laughable
2.5 messages a second on Sun Ultra 2 hardware) while not throttling it up
so that it would lock up (which it did quite happily).

I cannot speak highly enough of Exim. It has made my job considerably
easier.

> I am not very familiar with linux /unix but still would like to know as to
> what happens when a new ver comes out .I would be looking for something like
> a period of 2 years before i would make a change .(i am presently using
> netscape mail server)

If you are seeking a rock-solid mail solution, I would definitely look
into ditching Linux for FreeBSD. While Linux is quite acceptable (and far
better than anything Microsoft makes), I've found the overall quality
and stability of a FreeBSD -STABLE release to be superior to the average
Linux distribution.

Chris

--
Chris Snell <chris@???>        210.828.5558 W
Systems & Networks Architect            210.602.2308 M