Re: [Exim] domain trouble

Autor: Richard Welty
A: Dave C., Philip Hazel
CC: Tabor J. Wells, Patricio Castillo, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] domain trouble
At 10:31 AM 9/5/00 -0400, Dave C. wrote:
>Just one note - speaking as someone quite familiar with DNS, I am
>fairly certain that the DNS system permits only letters, digits and
>dash.

RFC 1123, Requirements for Internet Hosts -- Application and Support,
mandates that domain names follow the rules in RFC 952, DOD INTERNET HOST
TABLE SPECIFICATION, relaxing on the requirement that the first character
be alpha; 1123 allows the first character to be a digit as well.

From RFC 952:

ASSUMPTIONS

    1. A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up
    to 24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus
    sign (-), and period (.).  Note that periods are only allowed when
    they serve to delimit components of "domain style names". (See
    RFC-921, "Domain Name System Implementation Schedule", for
    background).  No blank or space characters are permitted as part of a
    name. No distinction is made between upper and lower case.  The first
    character must be an alpha character.  The last character must not be
    a minus sign or period.  A host which serves as a GATEWAY should have
    "-GATEWAY" or "-GW" as part of its name.  Hosts which do not serve as
    Internet gateways should not use "-GATEWAY" and "-GW" as part of
    their names. A host which is a TAC should have "-TAC" as the last
    part of its host name, if it is a DoD host.  Single character names
    or nicknames are not allowed.

--
Richard Welty                 rwelty@???
Any type of UBE (Unsolicited Bulk EMail) to this account