Re: [Exim] rewriting rules

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] rewriting rules
On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 12:17:42AM +0300, Vadim Vygonets wrote:
> Quoth Marc MERLIN on Wed, Aug 30, 2000:
> > So ${primary_hostname} (which is magic.su.valinux.com) works as a replace
> > argument, but not as something to replace.
> >
> > What gives?
>
> Variables are not supported in source patterns of re-write rules.
> Only lookups.

Mmm'kay

So my problem is that if a machine sends Email to root, I want it to be
qualified as root@???, _and_ I don't want to hardcode
that machine name anywhere in exim.conf since it's rsynced to many machines,
I just leave qualify_domain commented out.

However, I then need to rewrite stuff as such:
*@${primary_hostname} ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/mail/localadds}{$1@???}fail} T
*@${primary_hostname}    $1@???                hE
*@in.limbo        $1@${primary_hostname}            T

If instead, I do:
qualify_domain = valinux.com
*@valinux.com ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/mail/localadds}{$1@${qualify_domain}}fail} T

The problem is that mail that was actually going to root@??? gets
rewritten to be delivered locally.

So what are my options?
I can write some scripts that modify exim.conf on each machine and change
the hardcoded hostname, but that's something I'd like to avoid.

Thanks,
Marc

Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key and other contact information