Re: [Exim] Does Exim have security problems?

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Mustapha Mahfouz
Para: Marilyn Davis
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] Does Exim have security problems?
Hello,

> Pardon my twisted mind, but I can't help thinking that the original
> post was there to pull our chains, or maybe Philip's. Someone
> jealous, maybe.
>
> The return address doesn't work.

Sorry.....as you can see I have got your mail message so the address
works, besides I had to register at the exim.org site using a valid email
address. As you maybe aware you must never subscribe using your regular
email address for fear of spammers. so I registered with mypad.com, but
there seem to be some problems so I will subscribe at gmx.net and get back
to the list.

> In April of 1998, when my mailserver was attacked with gusto and with
> impressive resources and intelligence (because we ran the online
> version of "La Consulta" -- a Zapatista, i.e., rebel-sponsored vote in
> Mexico), I went looking for help in several technical email lists, I
> can't remember which now. But I was *only* told to install exim for
> security, no one suggested anything else.

This is exactly the reason for my original posting, my primary need is the
ease of configuring, but security is also vital as I am sure that all of
you would agree.

But unlike you when I discusses MTA's with my collegues all of them seemed
to say that for 100% security there is only one MTA and thats Qmail blah
blah, then they go to explain why modular designs are much better than
monolithic designs like sendmail and exim, and how exim is much more worse
than sendmail regarding security etc.qmails authour has a 1000$
reward and etc etc..until I wonder what is truth and what is untruth.

> Being as busy as anyone, I certainly would not have switched if the
> advice was anything but overwhelming and unanimous.

I unfortunately am getting laughed at unlike you with harsh comments like
"exim has low secuirity, what are the major sites that run Exim blah
balh", but I am quite serious about trying to install exim, I had a look
at the single config file and it looks good, much more easier to configure
than sendmail and very well documented too, also the installation appears
to be very straightforward too.

> So, I think that the original email was from far left field and about
> something else and here we are running internet nodes. It has nothing
> to do with our reality.

Sorry, but I get the impression that you do not seem to like my request
for information. I am sorry that I troubled you, you see my english isn't
that good (its my second laguage) and I worry that I may have mistakenly
caused offense to someone, if so I am apologizetic in the name of the
Holy Prophet (PBUH).

May Allah bless you all,
Mustapha Mahfouz.