Re: [Exim] (no subject)

Author: Sascha E. Pollok
To: Daniel Banyard, exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] (no subject)
Daniel,

>exim -v -bt fred
>
>I get the error: unknown local part "fred" in domain "my.domain"
>
>I know this is probably a basic question of setting up a mail server but
>where do I specify "fred" as a local username ? I am looking in the
>configure.default file but I am really unsure of what I need to set as all I
>want is a basic configuration initially. The documentation is really
>ambiguous.

Just make sure that "fred" is locally present on the machine as a user.
He would then get (within a standard-setup) an own /var/spool/mail/fred
file and all is fine. Looks like you already defined "my.domain" as a
local domain. That's good.

>When it comes to switching exim on again the documentation only hints about
>how this is to be done. I know how to stop sendmail but I don't know how to
>get exim to start in its place.

Basically you could just search your sendmail binary, mv it away (or rename it)
and put a symbolic link pointing to exim in it's place. e.g.:

ln -s /usr/exim/bin/exim sendmail

Then let your box process init-levels or just start it with e.g. "sendmail -bd -q10m".

>Please help.
>
>Dan

Jup!
Sascha