Re: [Exim] Installing Exim

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Daniel Banyard
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Installing Exim
On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Daniel Banyard wrote:

> [...] When I try to run exim I get the following errors :
>
> Exim configuration files /usr/local/exim-3.16/scripts/ has the wrong owner,
> group, or mode
>
> Any ideas why I am getting this ?

Well, probably becuase the exim configuration file has the wrong owner,
group or mode, but I guess that doesn't help you.

The docs say:

The runtime configuration file must be owned by root or by the user that
is specified at compile time by the EXIM_UID option, and it must not be
world- writeable or group-writeable, unless its group is the one
specified at compile time by the EXIM_GID option.

Could you supply us with an ls -l of your configuration file. A more
helpful answer might then be forthcoming.

It doesn't explicitly say this in the docs, but a similar conditions may
have to hold of all directories in the path to the configuration file.
That is a file owned by root in a directory owned by fred might be
considered a problem, although as far as I can see, fred could merely
remove the configuration file. He could not replace it with a root owned
file.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg