[Exim] setting up mail gateway

Author: Christopher Everett
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] setting up mail gateway
Hello:

I'm setting up a mail gateway for a client, like this:

+----------+          +---------+          +--------+

|          | SMTP In  |         | SMTP In  |        |
| The      |--------->| Exim on |--------->| Some   |
| Internet |          | A Linux |          | Random |
| at       |<---------| Box w/  |<---------| SMTP   |
| large    | SMTP Out | IP MASQ | SMTP Out | Server |
|          |          |         |          |        |

+----------+          +---------+          +--------+

I don't want to assume a DNS server on the private LAN or the gateway,
and I want to use Exim as a smarthost for the SMTP server on the
private LAN.

I installed Exim 3.12 from Debian 2.2. Then, following hints from the
FAQ, I edited exim.conf to read:

# exim.conf
# main

qualify_domain                   = bhauptman.com
local_domains                    = *.bhauptman.com:bhauptman.com
never_users                      = root
host_accept_relay                = localhost:10.0.0.0/8
smtp_verify                      = true
smtp_accept_queue_per_connection = 100
freeze_tell_mailmaster           = true
received_header_text             = "Received: \
         ${if def:sender_rcvhost {from ${sender_rcvhost}\n\t}\
         {${if def:sender_ident {from ${sender_ident} }}\
         ${if def:sender_helo_name {(helo=${sender_helo_name})\n\t}}}}\
         by ${primary_hostname} \
         ${if def:received_protocol {with ${received_protocol}}} \
         (Exim ${version_number} #${compile_number} (Debian))\n\t\
         id ${message_id}\
         ${if def:received_for {\n\tfor <$received_for>}}"
smtp_banner                      = ""

# transports
remote_smtp:
driver=smtp

end

# directors
end

# routers
outgoing:
  driver     = lookuphost
  transport  = remote_smtp
  no_more
  self       = fail_soft

incoming:
  driver     = domainlist
  transport  = remote_smtp
  route_list = "* 10.0.0.2 byname"

end

# retry
*                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,4d,8h

end

# no rewriting rules

However, when I telnet to port 25 on the gateway, and try sending a
message, I get an immediate response: