RE: [Exim] header modification

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Brian K. West
CC: bufi, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] header modification
On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Brian K. West wrote:

> If you add nobody to your trusted users then you can have your script or
> webpage send under whatever address you want. That's the simplest way to do
> it.

From the way that I read the original request, that isn't need. (BTW, it
would be easier for me to answer this if you had quoted the original
properly)

The request just wanted something run under user nobody to set the From
and Reply-To headers. For that there is no reason to set trusted user.
It is only if the envelop from should be set to something other than
nobody that this should be done.

To the person who made the original request, Bufi.

Be very cautious about setting up a CGI or similar that sends mail in the
name of someone submitting a form unless you have decent authentication
for who submits the form. A web-form to mail thing could be easily used
for abuse.

What I have done is:

Set From to httpd@domain
set envelop from to httpd@domain (httpd@domain is an unadvertised
address which does go the the web server admins)
set Reply-To to user supplied address
Add an X-header with stated the software/system and contact address
if unuwanted message is sent.
Add an X-header with the IP address of the web client
Add text to the body of the message telling the recipient that the
Reply-To address was something that was submitted by a form and
and could easily be in error.

You will need to add the uid of your webserver to the list of trusted
users to set the envelop from to an appropriate address for bounces (say
webmaster@domain), but otherwise, none of these issues is an exim thing.
Just have your CGI set the headers you need, and have it call

|/usr/lib/sendmail -f webmaster@domain -t

assuming that sendmail is a link to exim. I really think that this should
be done in the CGI and not with exim header rewritting.

And one more lighthearted suggestion, Bufi: Have you tried baking soda
(szoda bikarbonat)? ;-)

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg