Re: [Exim] Redirect Returned Mail

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Banyard
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Redirect Returned Mail
On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Daniel Banyard wrote:

> I am trying to find out whether or not you can configure Exim to either not
> send bounced emails back to the sender or redirect the email to a specified
> mail address. When I say bounced emails I mean the mail messaged that gets
> returned from the mail server when, for example, the host is invalid.

Yes, you can. You can set up a special director and/or router to handle
bounce messages, by making them conditional on

senders = :

i.e. check for an empty sender. If you place these before the normal
ones, they will act first. You probably also need to test for bounces
generated locally, unless you also want to throw away bounces coming in
from outside. The standard "was this locally generated" test is

condition = ${if eq{$sender_host_address}{}{yes}{no}}

i.e. check for an empty $sender_host_address.

If what you are *really* trying to do is to get rid of stuck bounce
messages for failed addresses in spam mail, first check out
receiver_verify and sender_verify.