Re: [Exim] any way to enable auth from the command line?

Author: Dave C.
To: Trevor Sky Garside
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] any way to enable auth from the command line?
On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Trevor Sky Garside wrote:

> going
> | > |

> | > Are you saying that each time Exim is called on port 25 for an incoming
> | > email, it will re-read the conf file? I would like for that to be the
> case,
> | > but it is not doing that on my system. Invoking it from the command
> line
> | > reads the file each time, but I have to HUP the daemon to cause it to
> | > re-read. The reason I ask is because I would like to be able to
> add/remove
> | > domains from the local_domains line on a regular basis. I'm always wary
> of
> | > restarting services, as this is usually somewhat costly (processor and
> time
> | > wise). How is it with Exim?
> |
> | You dont have to restart exim, you can send it a HUP and it will just
> | re-read the config file..
>
> So, a HUP is not costly at all? In other words, if I hup the service every
> 5 minutes or so, will it hurt performance terribly?

Er, send it a HUP anytime you've changed the config file.. Theres no
need to regularly do so if you havent changed the config..

HUP tells it to re-read the config file, and that will cause whatever
resources are necesarry to do so to be used.. Wether that signifigantly
affects your performance or not depends on your system.