Re: [Exim] rejected recipients

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dave C.
CC: Salvatore Greco, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] rejected recipients
On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Dave C. wrote:

> Consider the case of someone trying to send out a big pile of batches
> of spam, either trying to use you as a relay, or sending messages to
> addresses in your local domain(s) directly to your server. While it
> would certainly still be desirable to block invalid senders and/or
> spam, which often go hand-in-hand anyway, it might not be a case of a
> broken SMTP client, it might be just trying to deliver each batch,
> which all have the same (invalid) sender-address.

Yes, that's true. I don't think it actually changes anything though.

If I were re-implementing Exim now, I don't think I'd bother with all
this complication; I think I'd just go for rejecting the RCPT commands,
as is done for RBL rejections (by the time RBL was invented, the
community had learned that that is the safest way to do policy
rejections). Indeed, if ever there is a Grand Spring Clean Tidy of Exim,
this change might happen.