Re: [Exim] SMTP with Dynamic IP-Adresses

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: jim.haliburton
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP with Dynamic IP-Adresses
jim@??? said:
> We have a setup that has the my clients domains hosted on a server
> using exim. The remote clients have dial up access. We use a Linux
> box with exim and diald to check the mail every half hour or so. We
> use a cron entry that runs uucico and the diald detects the tcp
> request and dials an ISP. The uucico process logs on to the domain
> and gets the mail. The client side linux box delivers to the local
> mail server which is either a Novell box or NT box running Mercury
> and Pegasus. Have 8-10 clients doing this all day long. Some are on
> permanent connections with dynamic ip and the mail check interval is
> around 15 minutes. One is at 5 minutes.

Its a good way of doing things - potentially pretty secure too.
However the original query was asking about RFC 2645, ON-DEMAND MAIL
RELAY :-)
Presumably either end of a RFC2645 link could easily be replaced with a
non-exim end.. which might not seem like an improvement but does help
interoperability.

    Nigel.

[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]