[Exim] use of gecos field

Author: Phil Chambers
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] use of gecos field
I am baffled by Exim's use of gecos_pattern & gecos_name on several counts:

First, I want Exim to completely ignore the gecos field, but don't see how to. I
tried setting gecos_pattern to something which would never match:

- gecos_pattern = "^(,,)$"
- gecos_name = $1

but Exim then used the whole gecos field, presumably because gecos_name is then
unset. How do I get it to leave my From: and Sender: headers alone?

Second, I have a configuration which does not regard any user as local and forwards
everything to another system. Even this uses the gecos field to modify the From:
header! The config file is:

-  #                    MAIN CONFIGURATION SETTINGS
-  primary_hostname = local.at.here
-  qualify_domain = domain.at.here
-  local_domains =
-  forbid_domain_literals
-  never_users = root
-  locally_caseless = false
-  end
-  #                      TRANSPORTS CONFIGURATION
-  remote_smtp:
-    driver = smtp
-  end
-  #                      DIRECTORS CONFIGURATION
-  end
-  #                      ROUTERS CONFIGURATION
-  smarthost:
-    driver = domainlist
-    transport = remote_smtp
-    route_list = "* smarthost.at.here bydns_a"

How can this go looking at the gecos field when nothing is local?

My main need it to just ignore gecos, so help with that will be mose welcome.

Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter