Re: [Exim] Mailing lists

Author: Philip Hazel
To: davidturetsky
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mailing lists
On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, davidturetsky wrote:

> Apparently my mailing lists are still not working correctly. I get

local delivery ok, but not remotes. First I left 'domains =' blank, then
changed it to the literal 'lists.ref.book' contained in the exim
specification example, listing that reference in the 'local_domains'
config option. After first using 'errors_to = richsob', a local address,
I also changed that to the styling shown in the example

David,

'lists.ref.book' is a totally fictitious domain which cannot possibly
exist. It was put there as an example. You should use your real domain,
if you want a separate domain for your mailing lists. Otherwise, leave
it out.

deliver mail to freenewsletter@???

> # Handle mail distribution to lists [placed ahead of routers configuration]
>
> lists:
> driver = forwardfile
> domains = lists.ref.book

This means that this director will handle only addresses of the form

xxxx@???

Since you don't seem to have any of those, this director will never run.

> Delivery address list:
> chiefsob@???
> freenewsletter@???

Your message is addressed to those two addresses.

> chiefsob@???: queued for routing

richsob.com is not in local_domains; therefore it is going to be handled
by the routers, not the directors.

> freenewsletter@???: queued for routing

Likewise for freenewsletter@???.

So, your setting of "domains" didn't even get a look-in - the addresses
are passed to the routers, because neither of them is for a local
domain.

You must put email.msn.com into local_domains if you want addresses
containing that domain to be processed by your directors. However, since
email.msn.com is a public domain that seems to belong to your ISP, I
don't think this is a very good idea. I guess you need to set up some
private local domain of your own and use that as the way of getting your
mailing list expanded.