Re: [Exim] blacklisting (DUL) and SMTP AUTH

Author: Dave C.
To: Maximiliano Kolus
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [Exim] blacklisting (DUL) and SMTP AUTH
My solution for AUTH was to run a second exim daemon, listening on a
different port. I did this to prevent problems whereby some clients
force the user to authenticate if AUTH is advertised as being
available, even if the MTA doesn't require it. The normal exim daemon
has normal anti-relay rules, and doesn't support AUTH at all. The
alternate port one *always* requires authentication for any host to
send mail, and doesn't otherwise care about relaying.

You could set up a similar setup, and leave the DUL stuff out of your
config for the daemon on the alternate port . Those who you want to
block by way of DUL aren't likely to be trying any port other than 25..

The only downside to this is getting users to use the alternate port -
but I figure if they want to be able to send mail from off-network they
will learn - you have to explain how to setup AUTH anyway, you can take
care of the different port at the same time. One good thing is that if
you have travlling users, they can setup for the alternate port and
AUTH, and it will still work even when they are on your network - they
dont have to switch the config back and forth..