Re: [Exim] Re: Authentication/Mail storage using SQL databas…

Author: BlueFire
To: paul.branston
CC: Roger Burton West, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: Authentication/Mail storage using SQL database
I don't suggest integrating all those mailservices, but setting up a storage
access layer that can be used by all email programs which gives an interface
to save and retrieve maildata.
I surely don't want a coloss of SuperIMAPPOPSMTPPROCMAILLDAPbla server.

But looking at e.g. UW-IMAP and EXIM there is sort of a "mailbox-driver"
abstraction. At this layer it should be possible to extend access to mailfolders
even to database-based systems. By providing a common library (like libc-client
of UW-IMAP) which other programs could also use to access the mail, which
also can resolv things like concurrent access etc. the "non-integration" should be
remaining in addition to a mail repositiory which can be access by other database
applications e.g. CRM solutuions.

I also think that having facilities like SQL SELECT the search operations specified
by the IMAP protocol would be easier to implement.

Richard