Re: [Exim] Re: Authentication/Mail storage using SQL databas…

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Roger Burton West
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Re: Authentication/Mail storage using SQL database
On or about Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 09:03:48AM +0200, Richard Eckart typed:
>I know there is Oracle eMail Server available which
>stores all data in an Oracle database. It's available
>only for Windows NT and possibly Solaris.
>Any it's commercial and probably quite costy. But supports
>IMAP, POP3, LDAP, S/MIME, SMTP blablabla
>
>Why don't some OpenSource people put thier heads together and
>realize such a suite. I think rewriting EXIM, UW-IMAP and PROCMAIL
>for use with e.g. PostGRESQL as backend would be quite
>a hit in the Linux world.

Speaking for myself: why on earth should we want to? A large part of
the beauty of Unix systems is their modularity: I run Exim, procmail,
uw-imap and cucipop, and I can swap out any of those components if
something better comes along.

The sort of project you're proposing would involve a great deal of
effort, and offer no clear advantage over maildir-type storage.

Roger Burton West -/- roger@???
http://firedrake.org/roger/