Re: [Exim] OT: Debian (was: Suddenly problems with fetchmail…

Author: Mark Baker
To: Vadim Vygonets
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT: Debian (was: Suddenly problems with fetchmail)
On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 02:46:01AM +0300, Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> That's the problem with package releases. It's 3.10 (November
> 1999), when it should be 3.16.

3.12 actually, so it's not quite that bad.

Yes, this is a problem: because of the debian policy of freezing the new
distribution for a few months before releasing it (quite a lot of months in
this case) any stable version of debian is a long way out of date.

Versions that are purely bug fixes would be allowed in, but because exim
releases tend to include (minor) new features as well as bug fixes in each
point release, I haven't packaged them for debian, although I have
back-ported patches from them in a few cases where it was important.

I could have packaged a later version for the unstable distribution, but
that would have meant maintaining two packages for a while, which I didn't
want to do, because I'm very lazy. Now potato is released I've got no excuse
not to package 3.16, of course. I'll do that fairly soon, as soon as I've
packaged the latest pcre.