Re: [Exim] New exim user

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: davidturetsky
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] New exim user
On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, davidturetsky wrote:

> As for my background, I am a relative unix novice, although I have a
> computer science degree and over 30 years of programming experience on a
> number of platforms

Take heart. Old dogs *can* learn new tricks. I started programming in
the '60s. Unix takes a while to come to terms with. I consider myself a
Unix newbie - only been there since the early '90s.

> exim generated a bunch of output which it apparently will not redirect to a
> file,

If it's -d9 output, it is written to stderr (file descriptor 2), which
you redirect by

2>/some/file

(note the magic '2').

> including
>
> X-Failed-Recipients
>
> *** No recipients
> ***Bad addresses
>
> Process failed(1) when writing error message to root@(frozen)

It is somehow failing to write a delivery error report. This is not an
error I've ever seen actually happen.

> On the presumption that exim can indeed be intelligently used to send bulk
> mail,

Lots of people are using it.

> I reran exim -bt davidturetsky@??? and got:
>
> david@
>       <-- davidturetsky@???
> deliver to david@
> router = smarthost transport=remote_smtp
> host smtp.email.msn.com [207.46.181.11]

Was that really "deliver to david@"? That is, no domain? If so,
something odd is going on. Otherwise, that says it will deliver this
address to that host. Did you try sending a message to that address? You
can do that directly from exim, without using elm, by

exim -d9 davidturetsky@???
Some message
.

> I've also bought every relevant O'Reilly book
> related to the topic (don't see any on exim)

I don't know of any books on Exim. I am trying to write one for an as
yet unannounced publisher. When/if it will appear, I don't know.