Re: [Exim] MTA-imposed quota exceeded

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: sys044
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] MTA-imposed quota exceeded
On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 sys044@??? wrote:

> As exceeding EXIM quotas are the most likely reason that my mailservers
> send back a delay warning message, I have extended the warning message
> to make it more meaningful to the originator of the original message.
>
> This does not help the user who is over quota and it is at this level
> that I think the current EXIM quotas can be unsatisfactory and have
> already submitted a extension which I think would help.

For those that didn't see it, John's suggestion is for an option to continue
to deliver unless a user is *over* quota (so it would be unlike a system
quota), with facilities for allowing certain messages to bypass the quota
checking.

My personal feeling is that this is a bit over elaborate, and I don't
like the idea of Exim quotas working differently to system quotas. What
are the views of others on this list?

> I would be interested in how people manage quotas -
>     what size is your default - (student mailserver currently ours is 3M)

We use *system* quotas, not Exim quotas, on our big mailserver on which
most students have their email. Mail is delivered into their home
directories. (They have no login facilities.) I think the standard quota
is 10M.

>     do you have an exception file and how do you adminster it;

Since the quotas are system quotas, they can be individually set.

>     what is the threshold (currently 90%);

6M

>     how often are there messages where the INBOX is below quota threshold
>          but are put in the spool as the message would cause the INBOX to
>          go over quota?

Pass. I don't actually administer the system.

Actually, on a much smaller system that I do administer, which works in
the same way, and which students use, this situation arises maybe once
or twice a term. It is not a big problem.