Re: [Exim] strange problem with mail staying on queue longer…

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] strange problem with mail staying on queue longer than retry time
Quoth Vadim Vygonets on Wed, Aug 09, 2000:
> Quoth Gary Palmer on Tue, Aug 08, 2000:
> > I have some mails on my queues that are sticking around longer than
> > the retry time indicates they should. They are all getting frozen
> > because some remote admin has set their MX record to 127.0.0.1.
>
> The admin in question is an idiot. My theory is that
> medianone.net is not Median One, but Media None. I'm not aware
> of any option in Exim that can make the message fail without
> freezing it.

Oh, of course I am. In your lookuphost router set this option:

self = fail_hard

Or, if you use Exim 3.16 (or higher;), do:

self = fail

But please be aware of the consequences (see chapter 25,
"Additional generic options for routers", of the manual for more
information). If you have virtual domains, or domains you relay
to while being listed as their lowest MX in the DNS, you should
then _always_ remember to add these domains to the relevant
databases.

The point I made about medianone's hostmaster's idiocy still
stands.

Vadik.

--
To the systems programmer, users and applications serve only to
provide a test load.